How to Gain Weight? Read Here
Weight loss has always been a hot topic among people in order to achieve greater health benefits and better looks. It perhaps dates back to the 18th century, when a physician and dietitian named George Cheyne found a good anti-obesity diet for him and tried it on his own self. Though obesity is one of the leading health problems, being underweight can’t be ignored. It may be as bad for you as being overweight.
But, are you really underweight?
To know this, you can calculate your Body mass index (BMI) in order to know whether you really are underweight or not. BMI value below 18 means you are underweight, and that above 25 leads from being overweight to obese.
Causes and Dangers of Being Underweight
Well, there may be various factors affecting your weight. And the factors affecting your health may be unique, depending upon your individual physiology. So there are chances that the very technique used by your cousin may not be working for you. But you should be aware of the bodily functions that cause underweightness.
Being underweight is mostly caused by the reason that you have a fast metabolism, poor appetite, poor digestive health, depression, eating disorders and so on.
You must know that being underweight cannot be safely ignored. There are various health issues that you may face because of being underweight. It may lead to early osteoporosis, anaemia, hormonal imbalance, and several other health problems. So it is better to take some time and pay attention towards your body.
Here are tips to come out of some of the normal causes of being underweight:
Slow Down Your Metabolism to Gain Weight
Metabolism is a set of biochemical processes that essentially maintain life such as consumption of food and water. There are people with a fast metabolism rate who readily consume food. There remains nothing to store as calories inside the body. There are several techniques to slow down your metabolism in order to gain weight.
- Eat more often – Eating doesn’t necessarily mean that you should be having bigger bites at your regular lunch or dinner. You should be having several more meals per day than you do right now. Do it the way convenient to you. Either add an evening supper to your daily routine, a junk breakfast and so on. Eat 5 to six times a day.
- Sugary foods – sugar-rich foods being good sources of calories also account for the fat accumulation inside the body. The fructose in sugar will store as extra calories inside your body.
- Processed foods – Processed foods are known to slow down your metabolism, having artificial ingredients and likewise having refined carbohydrates. All of them help to have positive effects on your body if you are underweight.
- Fried foods – Fried foods and cooking oils (saturated fats) are good to gain weight as well as lowering the rate of your metabolism.
- Avoid physical activities after meal – Take as much time as you can. Keep yourself relaxed after each meal for at least an hour so that your body digests your food without having to waste any energy on physical activities.
Overcome your Poor Appetite
Loss of appetite can be a problem with many people who are underweight. Find the underlying problem that is causing loss of appetite. This may be from stress or depression to your daily meal schedule. Try to manage your routine and have your meal on time. Or make a habit of having smaller and frequent meals. It all depends on what works for you. There are no restrictions. Try avoiding water and other fluids before and after half an hour of your meal so that your food intake becomes better.
Strengthen your Digestive Health
Your digestive health matters a lot and leads to several health problems. You just cannot ignore it. Sometimes, unintentional weight loss is because of digestive disorders starting from your esophagus to intestine and from irritable bowel syndrome to Crohn’s disease. You can improve your digestive health easily in order to have your body function in a manner it is supposed to.
Protein supplements are thought to have remarkably positive results for those who are really underweight. Protein supplements like whey and soy proteins are good to bulk up your looks and for the lean mass improvement. This is particularly good for those practicing strength training exercises.
Remember that taking protein shakes add provide you extra calories over what you normally get from your diet. So, if you are taking a protein serving of 500 calories/day over what you normally eat, you are gaining about a pound weekly.
It is good to know that protein shakes may sometimes be disturbing your stomach and cause bloating or gas pains. Do as directed on the label in order to get good results. You can also consult your doctor for the better health consequences.